Missing 5-year-old boy found safe with mother, police say

SAPD: Sylis McLendon, 5, thought to be missing, was with mother

By Mariah Medina - Digital Journalist, Japhanie Gray - Reporter

SAN ANTONIO - A 5-year-old boy who was reported missing from his father's Northwest Side home early Saturday morning was found safe in the care of his mother Saturday afternoon, police said.

Police spent hours searching for Sylis McLendon.

Police said Sylis and his older brother were dropped off by their mother at their father's house in the 8800 block of Boise Hills on Friday.

Police said the father of the two boys, Isaac McLendon, was out of town on business and the kids were left in the care of two adults at the home. Greene said the boy's older brother told police he fell asleep and that Sylis stayed up watching TV.

San Antonio Police Department spokesman Doug Greene said Sylis was nowhere to be found early Saturday morning.

"We're praying that this is the case, that maybe mom came and picked him up and has the child," Greene said prior to police locating Sylis.

Authorities said repeated attempts to get in contact with Sylis' mother, Rihana McLendon, Saturday morning were unsuccessful. However, they later made contact with her, learning that the entire situation started from miscommunication.

"I was already going to pick up my little one today to take him to a birthday party, but I decided to pick him up late last night because I was already in the area,” Rihana McLendon said. “So when I got there, I knocked on the door because I didn’t want to wake everyone up in the home, and my oldest son came and opened the door.”

Police said the older brother’s story differs from the mother’s story because he didn’t know how Sylis disappeared when he woke up in the morning.

“He was half asleep, obviously,” Rihana McLendon said. “Didn't even remember letting me in. Didn't remember me taking Sylis.”

Rihana McLendon​​​​​​​ said she didn’t receive any messages or calls because her phone was dead.

"My phone was dead and friend showed up and woke me up and said, ‘Hey everyone is looking for you,’” she said. “’They say your son is missing.’ I was, like, 'What? Then they showed me the post from the news, and I was, like. 'Oh, my God. I was freaking out and got up and Sylis, who was sleeping with me, was upset too.”

Rihana McLendon​​​​​​​ was later questioned by police but was released with her sons in her custody. She said this was just a major miscommunication that turned into a scary situation.

“This is like a freak accident to me,” she said. “I feel really bad about it and scared that it went down like that. I just felt really bad, and I am sorry that I made everybody worry."

Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.