Mother, daughter safely escape house fire on NW Side

Fire reported at 3 a.m. in 200 block of Fennel Drive

By Max Massey - Video Journalist, Ben Spicer - Web Producer, David Ibanez - Web - Managing Editor

SAN ANTONIO - Abby Villarreal considers herself lucky to have been awake at 3 a.m. Thursday.

It was at that time when she smelled smoke in her home in the 200 block of Fennel Drive.

"I smelled smoke, and I came out, and I looked and thought it may have been our gas stove, so I woke my mom," Villarreal said. "Up we went into our garage, and it was completely smokey, and (we) realized it was coming from the laundry room, which is in the garage."

After calling 911, Villarreal and her mother made it out of their home safely. But during the rush to get out, Villarreal couldn't find her pets.

"One of the firefighters brought my cat out, and I was like, 'Thank God,'" she said.

Villarreal said if she hadn't been awake, things could have been worse.

"Our smoke detector batteries were dead," she said.

Firefighters went in through a back wall and contained the fire to the laundry room and garage.

Damage was estimated between $5,000 to $10,000.

Copyright 2019 by KSAT - All rights reserved.