The sudden, plunging temperatures may have people looking for ways to stay warm this week. The San Antonio Fire Department is reminding people to "warm your home without setting it on fire."
According to SAFD, heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths.
Fire officials offered the following safety tips for preventing heating fires.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Install and maintain CO (carbon monoxide) alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from heating equipment, like a furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
- Have a 3-foot “kid-safe zone” around open fires and space heaters.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.