SAN ANTONIO - Many of the city's recognizable institutions for the month of October are celebrating the new "San Antonio Museum Month" and are offering free or discounted admission to members.
Participating institutions are offering numerous benefits including member admission, special events, as well as unique promotions. During the month of October, visitors at these locations will be able to join and explore the city’s vibrant visual arts scene.
More News Headlines
Here are some of the known museums and cultural institutions that are offering free or discounted reciprocal admission:
- Artpace San Antonio is a contemporary art space that annually hosts three residencies which culminate in a two-month exhibition on site. It is free and open to the public.
- Blue Star Contemporary is the first and longest-running nonprofit venue for contemporary art in San Antonio.
- Briscoe Western Art Museum brings to life the vibrant culture and heritage of the Western United States through a permanent collection of Western art and artifacts.
- The Doseum, San Antonio’s children's museum, inspires children to use their inner creativity and curiosity to learn through play in more than 64,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor exhibit space. *Offer limited to Mondays.
- UTSA Institute of Texan Cultures features exhibits, programs, and special events that examine and promote heritage, ethnicity, history, social issues, and popular culture.
- McNay Art Museum is the first museum of modern art in Texas and houses modern masters such as Paul Gauguin, Vincent van Gogh, and Edward Hopper. *Offer limited from Tuesdays through Fridays.
- San Antonio Botanical Garden welcomes guests to colorful floral displays, true-to-Texas native areas, and futuristic glass pyramids filled with exotic plants from around the world. *Offer limited to October 1-13 and October 15-20.
- San Antonio Missions National Historical Park is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site preserving four of the five Spanish frontier missions in San Antonio.
- San Antonio Museum of Art takes you around the world and through five thousand years of art in a complex of buildings that once housed the Lone Star Brewery.
- Southwest School of Art is the only independent college of art in Texas and it also houses regularly changing exhibitions of contemporary art by regional, national, and international artists. The galleries are always free and open to the public.
- The Witte Museum promotes lifelong learning through innovative exhibitions, programs, and collections in natural history, science and South Texas heritage. *$2 off for members of participating institutions.
Museum Month San Antonio will continue in October 2018 during the city's tricentennial year.
For a full-list of events and and exhibitions, click here.
Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.