Tiny pup survives close encounter with big, bad snake

Reptile bit canine over weekend

By Chris Shadrock - Web - News Producer

SAN ANTONIO - A playful pup has made the ultimate comeback after a close encounter with a highly venomous snake.

Elvis, a 7-year-old Cairn terrier, was in the family’s backyard when he came face-to-face with a coral snake.

When the dog’s owner saw him, he had some blood on his mouth, then the canine began to vomit.

"There wasn't a visible injury,” owner Sara Lara said. “The only thing I noticed was he was really obsessed with licking his paws.”

When the family went outside they found the snake dead in the backyard.

Elvis was taken to Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners Hospital. By the time he arrived, the animal was not able to breathe on his own.

“The venom of coral snakes contains a neurotoxin that targets the respiratory muscles,” said Dr. Tracy Gati, the senior emergency veterinarian who has been overseeing Elvis’ care. “That’s what makes the snake so dangerous.”

Doctors put the dog on a ventilator and were able to bring him back to health.

The rambunctious dog is still being treated for damage to his eyes, but is expected to make a full recovery.

--------------------------------------------------------

Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.

Sign up today. It's Free.

Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.