SAN ANTONIO - La Familia Cortez lets us in on their own special version of the famous Mexican Bread Pudding.
This sweet treat is only made and served during lent season.
More SA Live Recipe
If you want to try it at home, La Familia Cortez has provided the recipe below:
- 6 cups of cubed bolillo rolls or French rolls
- 5 cups water
- 12 ounces piloncillo or 1½ cups packed dark brown sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 4 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Melt the butter and toss the cubed bread in the butter to coat the bread slightly and toast in the oven for 5 minutes
3. Combine water, piloncillo, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, creating a syrup. Simmer syrup for approx.20 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep, covered for 2 hours.
4. Pour through a strainer and discard cinnamon sticks and cloves. Set syrup aside. You can do this step up to a week in advance
5. Spray a large baking dish with non-stick spray, layer ingredients ia third of the toasted bread, third of the raisins, third of the cheese, and 1 1/2 cups syrup evenly over cheese. Repeat this step two more times
6. Cover the dish with aluminum foil that has been sprayed with nonstick spray and bake 40 minutes, uncover and bake until cheese is golden brown about 10 minutes longer. Serve warm.
For more on La Familia Cortez you can visit their website.
Stay tuned to @SALiveKSAT by following our Facebook and Twitter.
Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.