1 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3 large eggs - seperated
2 cups low-fat buttermilk - room temperature
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sweet potato puree - not pie filling
6 tbsp. butter - melted (or melted coconut oil, canola oil cna be used as a more healthy option)
3 tbsp. 0% fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup fresh raspberries
1. Preheat waffle iron
2. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl whish the egg yolks, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter (or coconut oil)
4. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, gently fold into the batter. Let sit for 5 minutes.
6. Pour a heaping 1/2 cup of the batter into the waffle iron.
7. Cook according to manufacturer's direction, or until there is minimal steam coming fro the waffle iron. These tend to be a little on the moist side so they take longer than regular waffles. Re-spray the waffle iron with cooking spray in-between each batch. If the waffles stick a little, gently pull out of the iron with a wooden spoon.
***For volunteer opportunities with the SA Food Bank visit SAFoodBank.org.