SAN ANTONIO – True Wellness San Antonio helps people create healthy goals and learn good habits for healthy living.
Knowing what to eat when you're trying to watch your waistline is a good start for anyone looking to make a positive lifestyle change.
Get the recipe for spinach and strawberry salad, and grilled chicken with turmeric and lemon below.
Spinach and Strawberry Salad
8 cups baby leaf spinach
1 Roma tomato
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons orange juice
½ teaspoon mustard
½ cup sliced roasted almonds
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Cut strawberries in half, slice the Roma tomato and place in large bowl. Add spinach and toss.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
3. Just prior to serving, pour dressing over salad and toss lightly. Sprinkle almonds on top.
Makes 8 servings (1 cup servings)
Carbohydrates 7 grams
Protein 2 grams
Fat 8 grams (0 saturated)
Fiber 2 grams
Sodium 45 milligrams
Notes: Can add grilled chicken, baked salmon and use a healthy vinaigrette option
Grilled Chicken with Turmeric and Lemon
· Prep Time: 8 hrs
· Cooking Time: 20 mins
· Total Time: 8 hrs 20 mins
· Servings: 4
About This Recipe
"Great lemon-flavored chicken recipe. Serve with the onions for more flavor. A bit tart and very tender. Eight hours or overnight is the marinade time."
1 chicken breast, cut up in four pieces
½ cup lemon or lime juice
½ cup of canola oil or olive oil
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 large onion, sliced
1 tsp of salt and pepper
1. Combine lemon juice, turmeric, garlic and onion in a large bowl.
2. Add chicken, turning to coat with marinade.
3. Marinate in fridge for 8 hours or overnight, turn over the chicken once so marinade covers chicken.
4. Remove chicken from marinade.
5. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
6. Grill or broil chicken and onions until done, turn chicken once.
7. Accompany with grilled vegetables.
Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.
Sign up today. It's Free.