- 3 c. water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 anise star
- 1/4 c. masa harina
- 2 c. milk
- 1.5 oz Mexican chocolate (recommend Nestle Abuelita), chopped
- 3 oz. piloncillo (or you can sub ½ c. packed brown sugar)
1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil with the cinnamon sticks and anise star. Remove from heat, cover, and let the cinnamon sticks and anise star steep for about an hour.
2. Remove the cinnamon sticks and anise star, return to low heat and slowly add the masa harina, whisking until combined. Add milk, chocolate and piloncillo. Heat over medium heat just until boiling, then simmer uncovered whisking occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until chocolate is completely melted and sugar is dissolved.
3. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.