Battery Dangers: Doctors show what actually happens when a child swallows a battery

By Fiona Gorostiza - SA Live Host

SAN ANTONIO - You might want to take a closer look at what powers your children’s toys and games.

“More and more kids are being admitted to the emergency room after swallowing the batteries inside those toys,” says Dr. Tim McEvoy from University Health System.

Button batteries contain lithium ion, and are found in many popular toys, such as fidget spinners.

The button batteries are small and can easily be popped into a child’s mouth, nose or ears and cause drastic, damaging effects.

According to Dr. McEvoy,

“Because it is a battery, the circuit can be completed. It can create a charge and then create an injury that can eat through tissues in the nose, eat through the esophagus into the chest, and in rare cases, can even be deadly.”

Warning signs parents should watch for are coughing, difficulty breathing or drainage from the nose or ears.

Parents are advised to keep button batteries out of reach of children or make sure the toy has the battery screwed in and secured.

For more information contact University Children’s Health at 210.358.5437 or visit www.UniversityChildrensHealth.com.

Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.