SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio on Wednesday officially kicked off its tricentennial celebration for 2018.
The city will be turning 300 years old in 2018 and the city can't wait to start celebrating.
"A celebration of our history, culture, and we're going to be so looking forward to the next 300 years in our incredible and amazing city," Mayor Ivy Taylor said.
Wednesday's event was filled with energy, excitement and confetti.
The Tricentennial Commission unveiled its new logo and announced the launch of its website in grand fashion.
The commemorative kickoff at the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts included a ceremonial prayer by the Southern Intertribal Group, a short vignette from Ballet San Antonio, as well as several other live music and dance performances. The festivities of the first tricentennial event gave attendees a taste of what to expect in 2018.
"I think what our goal on the commission is for people who visit San Antonio to say, 'Gosh, I'd like to live here.' We want people to see San Antonio for the incredible vibrant community that it is," tricentennial commissioner Katie Luber said.
Committee members said they really want to showcase what San Antonio has to offer and they're hoping to get everyone involved, especially those who call the city home.
"Organizations, individuals, schools, universities can go to that website and put their ideas or their program that will be reviewed by the commission," San Antonio Tricentennial Commission CEO Edward Benavides said.
The tricentennial celebration will begin on New Year's Eve 2017 and will run all the way through 2018.
The festivities will be funded through public and private parties. So far, the city of San Antonio and Bexar County has dedicated a combined $500,000.
AT&T is the first corporate sponsor for the celebratory events. As the festivities and list of events grows, the commission hopes to garner more sponsorships.
For more information on how residents can get involved, visit celebrate2018.com.