Weekend weather jeopardizes San Antonio Missions championship game

Final games at Wolff Stadium against Tulsa Drillers in question


SAN ANTONIO – This weekend's heavy rains have already affected many high school football games across South Texas. The Texas League Championship Series is also in danger of being affected.

Games 3 and 4 of the series between the Tulsa Drillers and the San Antonio Missions is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Nelson Wolff Stadium starting tonight. A potential winner-take-all game 5 would be Sunday at 6:05 p.m. in San Antonio. 

However, should even one game be canceled due to excessive rain and/or lightning, the conclusion of the series is very much in doubt. Sunday is the latest that a game in this series could be played due to Texas League baseball rules.

The KSAT 12 Weather Department has projected a 70 percent chance of rain here in San Antonio Friday evening and Saturday. Currently, there is a 30 percent chance of showers Sunday as this system begins to moves west. 

READ MORE: Widespread rainfall expected Friday afternoon due to disturbance in Gulf of Mexico

The Missions have not announced a potential double-header for this series over the next three days in the event a game is postponed due to weather. If the Drillers and Missions lose one game, the Texas League could change this best-of-five series to a best-of-three. If that were the case, with San Antonio already being down 0-2 to Tulsa, the Drillers would be declared the champions for 2018. 

Of course, before we look ahead to games 4 and 5, the Missions have to win game 3 at home. The Missions were down 0-2 in their Texas League Divisional Series with the Corpus Christi Hooks last week.

Both teams were tied at 8 last Friday when the game had to be postponed due to rain and concluded the following day. The Missions went on to win three straight to advance to the championship series.

Daniel P. Villanueva has worked with KSAT 12 Sports for more than 15 years and is an award-winning sports producer. To submit story ideas, email sports@ksat.com.