CLEVELAND – Major League Baseball says an investigation has concluded that a Houston Astros employee seen taking photos or video near Cleveland's dugout during Game 3 of the AL Division Series was merely monitoring the field to ensure the Indians weren't violating any rules.
MLB issued a statement Wednesday afternoon saying it considers the matter closed. KSAT's sister station, KPRC-TV in Houston, posted the statement, which reads.
"Before the Postseason began, a number of Clubs called the Commissioner's Office about sign stealing and the inappropriate use of video equipment. The concerns expressed related to a number of Clubs, not any one specific Club. In response to these calls, the Commissioner’s Office reinforced the existing rules with all playoff Clubs and undertook proactive measures, including instituting a new prohibition on the use of certain in-stadium cameras, increasing the presence of operations and security personnel from Major League Baseball at all Postseason games and instituting a program of monitoring Club video rooms.
"With respect to both incidents regarding a Houston Astros employee, security identified an issue, addressed it and turned the matter over to the Department of Investigations. A thorough investigation concluded that an Astros employee was monitoring the field to ensure that the opposing Club was not violating any rules. All Clubs remaining in the playoffs have been notified to refrain from these types of efforts and to direct complaints about any in-stadium rules violations to MLB staff for investigation and resolution. We consider the matter closed."
The defending champions came under scrutiny after Cleveland filed a complaint about a man associated with Houston attempting to photograph or video the Indians' dugout last week.
The Associated Press also reported Houston attempted to get a second person next to Cleveland's dugout during Game 3 of the AL Division Series after the first employee was removed.
The second person tried to gain access to the field photographer's pit but was turned away, said the people who spoke Wednesday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
The first employee, who had been issued a credential before the Oct. 8 game in Cleveland, was removed from an area Saturday near Boston's dugout for taking photos during Game 1 of the ALCS.
The Red Sox had been warned before their series-opening game, the AP was told.
The Indians were concerned the man was attempting to view scouting reports Cleveland had on Houston's players, one person said.
The Astros beat the Indians to advance to the ALCS, where they trail the series 2-1 headed into Wednesday night's Game 4.