SAN ANTONIO – Cue up John Denver because the San Antonio Spurs are feeling Rocky Mountain High.
The Silver and Black will face the Denver Nuggets in the first round of the 2019 NBA playoffs.
The Spurs are the seventh seed and the Nuggets are the second seed in the Western Conference. Below is a full schedule.
- G1: SAT in Denver, April 13, 9:30 PM, FSSW/ESPN
- G2: TUE in Denver, April 16, 8 PM, FSSW/NBATV
- G3: THUR in San Antonio, April 18, 8 PM, FSSW/NBATV
- G4: SAT in San Antonio, April 20, 4:30 PM, FSSW/TNT
- G5*: TUE in Denver, April 23 TBD (if necessary)
- G6*: THUR in San Antonio, April 25 TBD (if necessary)
- G7*: SAT in Denver, April 27 TBD (if necessary)
The Spurs clinched their 22nd consecutive playoff appearance back on March 31. However, the big question in the 11 days since was just who the Spurs would play in the first round.
The Spurs did themselves a favor down the stretch, going 4-1 in their final five games, including a 105-94 win against the Mavericks Tuesday night in the regular season finale.
On paper, the Spurs match up well with the Nuggets. The teams split their regular season series 2-2, with each team picking up wins on their home court.
In the playoffs, San Antonio will have to hit the road for the first two meetings, which could spell a potentially rough start to the series.
The reason? San Antonio has been downright awful on the road this season, owning a 16-25 record in games played away from the friendly confines of the AT&T Center.
It's record is the second-worst among playoff-bound NBA teams and worst in the Western Conference.
On the positive side, San Antonio enters the postseason on a three-game winning streak and avoided a first round matchup against Golden State.
The Houston Rockets are also on the opposite side of the bracket after they fell to the fourth seed.
The Western Conference playoff matchups are:
(1) Golden State vs. (8) LA Clippers
(4) Houston vs. (5) Utah
(3) Portland vs. (6) Oklahoma City
(2) Denver vs. (7) San Antonio