BOSTON – Ron Roenicke is preparing to play baseball this year.
The Boston Red Sox manager admits he has concerns about some options Major League Baseball officials have discussed in order to safely start the season in the shadow of the COVID-19 pandemic.
But he does believe there will be games.
"If I’m going with my gut, yes, I do,” Roenicke said Tuesday during a conference call with reporters.
Roenicke and his coaching staff continue to be in contact with players, who are commencing with conditioning and throwing programs as best they can from where they are.
Baseball’s season had been set to start March 26 but spring training was halted on March 12. After the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended restricting events of more than 50 people for eight weeks, MLB said it would not open until mid-May at the earliest.
Putting all 30 teams in the Phoenix area this season and playing in empty ballparks is one scenario that was discussed last week during a conference call between MLB and the players’ association.
“They’re trying to get us on the field, obviously, as fast as they can," Roenicke said. "But these things are really complicated.”