Above normal temperatures in store this week
Warm up comes after coldest San Antonio has seen since 2011
SAN ANTONIO – Temperatures on Sunday morning officially dropped to 19 degrees officially out at the San Antonio International Airport. Not only is this the coldest temperature this season, but it’s the coldest the area had been since early February 2011.
Less than 24 hours later, we were some 20-25 degrees milder this morning when we dropped into the lower 40s. The air still had a bit of a chill, but it was far from the freezing point.
By Monday afternoon, with highs back into the lower 70s, it’s hard to believe we were seeing the bitterly cold air over the weekend.
If you enjoy the milder temperatures, you’ll like the weather pattern this week. We are forecast to keep a good mix of clouds and sun through Thursday and high temperatures will push the upper 70s to lower 80s. Overnight lows in the 20s and 30s will be traded for 50s and 60s.
We’re keeping a close eye on an upper-level disturbance that will push into the Alamo-City region late in the week. This will increase moisture and eventually lead to scattered showers and thunderstorms on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Those with weekend plans should keep close tabs on the forecast for the next couple of days.
Since this pattern is driven by an upper-level system, the forecast could change drastically from one day to the next. For now, we’ll keep a 30-40 percent chance of showers and storms for Friday and Saturday. Then we’ll kick up rain and storm chances on Sunday to 50-60 percent.
The best chances of rain look to remain north of us at this time, where the upper-low is forecast to move through. Once the associated surface cold front pushes on by, the rain will come to an end and temperatures will drop into the upper 50s early next week.
Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.