Hurricane season starts today. Is your name on the list?

Atlantic hurricane season runs June 1-Nov. 1


SAN ANTONIO – Today -- Thursday, June 1 -- marks the first day of the Atlantic hurricane season.

The season ends Nov. 1, and while hurricanes can occur at any time of year, they are most frequent in August, September and October – not surprising, since hurricanes derive their energy from warm ocean waters.

Download the KSAT Hurricane Tracker app for iPhone and Android

KSAT Meteorologist Kaiti Blake, however, said the first major storm of 2017 already occurred in April: Tropical Storm Arlene.

An above-average hurricane season is in store, forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Climate Prediction Center said. Their forecast calls for a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season and a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.

Download the KSAT Weather app for iPhone and Android 

Below is a list of tropical storm names for 2017:

  • Arlene
  • Bret
  • Cindy
  • Don
  • Emily
  • Franklin
  • Gert
  • Harvey
  • Irma
  • Jose
  • Katia
  • Lee
  • Maria
  • Nate
  • Ophelia
  • Philippe
  • Rina
  • Sean
  • Tammy
  • Vince
  • Whitney

Continued Weather Coverage

Stick with KSAT 12 News, your Weather Authority for the latest weather updates.

Remember, 'Turn Around, Don't Drown': Tips for staying safe while driving in the rain

Read more: CPS Energy offers power outage tips


Download the KSAT 12 Weather app on your smartphone for the latest weather updates.

Click to download on iPhone OR click to download on an Android phone.


Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT 12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.

Sign up today. It's Free.

Keep up with the latest alerts from the KSAT Meteorologists with their Twitter stream below:

About the Authors: