San Antonio police need your help locating suspect involved in fatal shooting of drill sergeant on New Year’s Day

Jessica Mitchell, 30, was found dead in her car that was riddled with several bullet holes, police say

Image courtesy of The San Antonio Police Department. (Copyright 2020 by KSAT - All rights reserved.)

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Police Department is requesting the public’s help in locating the suspect(s) involved in a fatal shooting on New Year’s Day.

According to investigators, the shooting happened after 2:00 a.m. on east Interstate Highway 10 and West Avenue. The initial call was for a traffic hazard: A stranded car in the left lane.

Investigators say they found a white Dodge Charger with multiple gunshots to the driver’s side door and window. The victim was later identified as Jessica Mitchell, 30, a drill sergeant assigned to the U.S. Army Medical Center of Excellence on Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston.

Mitchell was transported to an area hospital and was later pronounced dead from her injuries, police said.

Police say the suspect vehicle is possibly red in color and should have damage to the passenger side of the vehicle.

Anyone with information is asked to contact SAPD’s Homicide Unit at (210) 207-7635.

Related: Drill sergeant at Joint Base San Antonio shot, killed on New Year’s Day along I-10, officials say