This comes after the Spurs announced they were waiving Primo from the team before Friday’s match against the Chicago Bulls.
As of Saturday, still no explanation has been given as to why the team cut ties.
Fans also noticed that promotional content of Primo on the Spurs’ social media pages have been mostly removed as of Saturday.
The Spurs Sports & Entertainment CEO RC Buford said in a statement Friday that it’s their hope the decision to waive Primo “will serve the best interest of both the organization and Joshua.”
Primo issued a statement to ESPN not long after the announcement, saying he will use his time away from the Spurs to focus on his mental health and heal from trauma.
“I know that you all are surprised by today’s announcement. I’ve been seeking help to deal with previous trauma I suffered and will now take this time to focus on my mental health treatment more fully. I hope to be able to discuss these issues in the future so I can help others who have suffered in similar way. I appreciate privacy at this time.”
Josh Primo statement to ESPN in the aftermath of his release from the Spurs tonight: pic.twitter.com/H1n3k3IIcn— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) October 29, 2022
Last month, Primo was set to miss the start of the preseason due to a left MCL sprain. However, he was expected to return for the start of the regular season.
Head Coach Gregg Popovich told the Associated Press that no further information on Primo’s release would be shared for the time being.
“We’re going to stick by what we told you,” Popovich said.
It’s still unknown what led to the Spurs’ decision to cut ties with Primo, and no further information has been released at this time. We’ll bring more information as it becomes available.