SAN ANTONIO – Martin Luther King Jr. Day falls on Monday, Jan. 16 and the City of San Antonio has announced its expected closures.
City Hall and most municipal offices will be closed in observance of the holiday. However, public safety and emergency services will remain open.
The Martin Luther King Jr. Day March will be held in person on Monday for the first time in three years due to COVID-19. Dwayne Robinson, chairman of the San Antonio Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commission, said the commission is hoping for at least 50,000 participants.
Here’s what will be open and closed for MLK Day in San Antonio:
- Police will be on duty.
- Municipal Court magistration services and SAPD’s detention center.
- Fire and EMS personnel will be on duty.
- 3-1-1 Call Center will be operational from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and from 5-11 p.m. for urgent animal concerns and traffic signal malfunctions by pressing option 1.
- Animal Care Officers will be on duty.
- Code Enforcement Officers will be available for inspections and emergency coverage.
- Downtown parking visitors will enjoy an on-street parking meter holiday. Regular rates apply for City operated lots and garages.
- La Villita and Market Square shops.
- City parks and trails.
- SAPD’s Administration and Records Section.
- SAFD Administrative Offices.
- San Antonio Municipal Court.
- All Metro Health clinics.
- Animal Care Services Lobby and Adoption Center.
- Housing Assistance Hotline.
- Homeless Connections Hotline (210-207-1799).
- All Senior/Adult Comprehensive Centers and Senior Nutrition Sites.
- Willie Velasquez, Claude Black and Frank Garrett community centers.
- Child Care Services administrative offices.
- Head Start administrative offices and school district sites.
- Pre-K 4 SA Centers, CEO and corporate office.
- Dead animal collection crews will be off duty.
- Recycling, organics recycling, and garbage for Monday, Jan. 16 will be collected on Tuesday, Jan. 17, Tuesday, Jan. 17 will be collected Wednesday, Jan. 18, Wednesday, Jan. 18 will be collected on Thursday, Jan. 19, Thursday, Jan. 19 will be collected on Friday, Jan. 20, and Friday, Jan. 20 will be collected on Saturday, Jan. 21.
- Bitters and Nelson Gardens Brush Recycling.
- Bulky waste collection centers and household hazardous waste sites (Frio City Rd., Rigsby and Culebra).
- The Darner Headquarters and Park Reservations Office.
- City of San Antonio Community Centers, the Natatorium, Fairchild and McFarlin Tennis Centers and the Barrera Community Fitness Center.
- Fitness in the Park classes.
- Office of the City Clerk, Passports, Vital Records and Municipal Archives and Records.
- Alamodome Offices and Box Office.
- Central Library and all branch libraries.
- Development Services Department.
- Office of Historic Preservation.
- Planning Department.
- Neighborhood and Housing Services.
- The Carver Community Cultural Center.
- Spanish Governor’s Palace.
- La Villita and Market Square Administrative Offices.
- Centro de Artes Gallery at Market Square.
- Culture Commons Gallery at Plaza de Armas.