SAN ANTONIO – The annual Cesar E. Chavez March for Justice is scheduled to take place on Saturday.
Thousands of people are expected to participate in the annual march in honor of the legacy of civil rights leader, Cesar Chavez.
This year, festivities will begin at 9 a.m. at the intersection of Guadalupe and Brazos streets near the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, located at 1310 Guadalupe.
Organizers say the march is two miles long and that water stations will be available at the halfway point at Flores and César Chávez Boulevard, in front of H-E-B. Portable restrooms and hand washing stations will be available at both the start and end of the route and the event is pet-friendly, a press release said.
VIA Metropolitan Transit and Bexar County are offering a complimentary park-and-ride service to the event. Participants can ride fare-free to the march between 8 and 10 a.m. from Alamodome parking lots B and C. Return service will be offered until 2:30 p.m. from Old Bowie Street next to the Institute of Texan Cultures, Gate 4.
Participants are also encouraged to drop off canned food items at the March to benefit the San Antonio Food Bank through the “Yes We Can/Sí Se Puede” campaign. Residents can drop off non-perishable food items at bins in front of the Guadalupe Theater.
San Antonio’s official Cesar Chavez City Holiday is set to be held on March 31. City Hall and most municipal offices will be closed that Friday.
Public safety and emergency services however will remain in operation. The other city services will operate as follows:
Open on March 31:
- Police will be on duty
- Municipal Court magistration services and SAPD’s detention center
- Fire and EMS personnel will be on duty
- 3-1-1 Call Center will be operational from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (until 11 p.m. for urgent animal care or traffic-related concerns)
- Animal Care Officers will be on duty
- Animal Care Services and Adoption Center will remain open at normal hours (1-7 p.m.)
- Code Enforcement Officers will be available for inspections and emergency coverage
- Downtown parking rates will apply, and regular meter rates will also be in effect
- La Villita and Market Square shops
- City parks and trails
- Dead animal collection skeleton crew
- Recycling, organics, and garbage will operate on regular collection days
- Spanish Governor’s Palace
- Head Start administrative offices and school district sites
- Alicia Trevino Lopez and Doris Griffin Senior Centers (manned by WellMed personnel)
- Alamodome Offices and Box Office
Closed on March 31:
- SAPD’s Administration and Records Section
- SAFD Administrative Offices
- San Antonio Municipal Court
- All Metro Health clinics and programs (Immunization Clinic on North Mel Waiters Way, WIC, Healthy Start, Project Worth, San Antonio Lactation Support Center, and Oral Health)
- Housing Assistance Hotline
- Homeless Connections Hotline (210-207-1799) and Homeless Outreach
- All Senior/Adult Comprehensive Centers and Senior Nutrition Sites, with the exception of Alicia Trevino Lopez and Doris Griffin Senior Centers (will be open)
- Willie Velasquez, Claude Black and Frank Garrett community centers
- Child Care Services administrative offices
- The Darner Headquarters and Park Reservations Office
- City of San Antonio Community Centers, Adult & Senior Centers, the Natatorium, Fairchild and McFarlin Tennis Centers and the Barrera Community Fitness Center
- Limited Fitness and Park classes will be held. Please check the schedule
- Office of the City Clerk, Passports, Vital Records and Municipal Archives and Records
- All San Antonio Public Library locations, including Central Library
- Economic Development Department
- Development Services Department
- Office of Historic Preservation
- Planning Department
- Neighborhood and Housing Services
- The Carver Community Cultural Center
- La Villita and Market Square Administrative Offices
- Centro de Artes Gallery at Market Square
- Culture Commons Gallery at Plaza de Armas
- Solid Waste Management Department Administrative Offices
- Pre-K 4 SA Centers, CEO and corporate office
- Bitters and Nelson Gardens Brush Recycling
- Bulky waste collection centers (Bitters, Culebra, Frio City and Rigsby) and Culebra household hazardous waste site
- Curbside brush collection
For more information, click here.