Sustainability projects are the focus of Mayor Nirenberg’s youth climate council showcase

Cohort of students will showcase projects at UTSA’s downtown campus on May 16

San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg delivers his annual State of the City address at the Marriott Rivercenter Tuesday afternoon. (Eddie Latigo, KSAT)

SAN ANTONIO – A cohort of local students will present sustainability and environment-focused projects later this month.

San Antonio’s Office of Sustainability and EcoRise, a nonprofit that encourages youth engagement around sustainability, is hosting the event on May 16 at the Durango building at UTSA’s downtown campus.

The Mayor’s Youth Engagement Council for Climate Initiatives (MYECCI) will present projects the group has worked on over the last school year. Students worked with local organizations to help the community and the Climate Action and Adaptation Plan (CAAP).

EcoRise provided grants that funded the students’ projects. The students will showcase their work around complex sustainability challenges, such as water conservation and waste management, in a science-fair format.

This fourth cohort consists of students from each city council district and represents 18 different public, private and charter schools, a city news release said.

“These young people have immersed themselves in the complex challenges involving climate change, and I am excited that they are responding with their own innovative ideas,” Mayor Ron Nirenberg said. “Their voices are important as we work to ensure our community and world are healthy and sustainable, and climate solutions are crucial for their generation.”

MYECCI was established in 2020 to support youth voices in implementing the CAAP, the release said.

For information on parking and to RSVP to the event, click here.

Mason Hickok is a digital journalist at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, reading and watching movies.