Man arrested for fatal stabbing outside Haven for Hope
Sandrick Van Anthony Buckley charged with murder
SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio police have arrested a man they believe is responsible for killing another man.
Officers first took Sandrick Van Anthony Buckley, 29, in for questioning about a stabbing near Haven for Hope just west of downtown.
On the night of Aug. 9, a detective questioned and then released Buckley.
But an arrest affidavit said that detective also requested a photo of him and took samples of blood on his hands and clothes.
Security cameras at the homeless shelter would later show Buckley as the suspect in a different crime -- this one a fatal attack -- police said.
About two weeks later, another SAPD detective went to Haven for Hope to view video of another brutal attack -- a man knocking the victim to the ground near the railroads tracks just outside the shelter and stomping repeatedly on the victim's head.
That tape then shows the attacker trying to enter the shelter before being stopped by security, police said.
The arrest affidavit said the man in that tape was identified by security as Buckley.
Buckley is accused of attacking Jose Gustavo Hernandez, 55. He suffered head and facial trauma and brain injuries.
Police said the attack appeared to be unprovoked.
Hernandez died last week.
Buckley remains behind bars at Bexar County Jail charged with murder on a $100,000 bond. He was not charged with the initial stabbing police were initially investigating.
Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.