SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Police Department is asking for the public’s help in searching for additional suspects responsible for the death of a 17-year-old boy whose body was found in a burning vehicle.
Sebastian Vasquez Carpio, 17, was reported missing on Sept. 19, 2020. The following day, his body was found inside the trunk of a burning vehicle in a field in the 6600 block of Calle Duarte, in Southwest Bexar County.
Police have said that Carpio was shot in the 4900 block of Fortuna Place. His killers then carjacked a driver and placed Carpio’s body inside the stolen vehicle before they burned it, police said.
His killers also burned evidence before they torched the vehicle, police said.
One suspect, Edgar De La Cruz, turned himself in to the police on October 2020. He was ultimately convicted of murder.
In September 2022, he transferred from juvenile detention to prison to serve the remainder of his 25-year prison sentence.
Police believe there is at least one other person responsible for Carpio’s death.
Police are asking anyone with information to contact authorities.
“They need to provide that missing information in order for me, as his mother, to get closure and some peace back,” said Ana Maria Carpio, the victim’s mother. “It’s not that it’s not fair to me and my family that these individuals are out living their lives as if nothing had happened, as if no heinous crime had been committed. They need to be held accountable and they should be punished.”
Crime Stoppers is willing to pay up to $5,000 for information leading to an arrest.
Tips can be made by calling Crime Stoppers at 210-224-STOP, texting “Tip 127 plus your tip” to CRIMES (274637), or using the P3 Tips app. Tipsters can remain anonymous.