Electrical fire destroys liquor store in South Bexar County, fire officials say

Fire was reported just after 3 a.m. at House of Liquor on South Loop 1604

SAN ANTONIO – An electrical fire destroyed a liquor store in far South Bexar County overnight, fire officials said Monday.

The fire was reported just after 3 a.m. at the House of Liquor located on South Loop 1604 West, not far from Pleasanton Road. 

Firefighters said they arrived to find heavy flames both inside and outside the store. The fire destroyed the business.

Authorities say the fire moved quickly due to the flammable liquor inside. Firefighters were also hampered by the burglar bars on the building, officials said.

Sheriff's deputies evacuated some homes on the same property, but no one was hurt.

Fire officials said the homes were not damaged but that the electricity was cut off as a result of the fire. 

Firefighters said the fire appears to be accidental due to an electrical problem, but that arson will still investigate.

This is a developing story. Stay with KSAT 12 both online and on-air for more information.

About the Authors:

Ben Spicer is a digital journalist who works the early morning shift for KSAT.

Katrina Webber joined KSAT 12 in December 2009. She reports for Good Morning San Antonio. Katrina was born and raised in Queens, NY, but after living in Gulf Coast states for the past decade, she feels right at home in Texas. It's not unusual to find her singing karaoke or leading a song with her church choir when she's not on-air.