Man killed in head-on crash with VIA bus on far East Side, police say

Jasper Richardson, 29, was killed in the incident, according to the Medical Examiner’s Office

SAN ANTONIOUpdate:

The man killed in a head-on crash with a VIA bus early Sunday morning has been identified by the Medical Examiner’s Office.

Jasper Richardson, 29, was killed after his vehicle drifted into the oncoming lane of a VIA bus and crashed head-on, according to police.

The driver of the VIA bus and passengers were uninjured in the collision.

The investigation is still ongoing and it’s currently unclear what lead to the deadly crash at this time.

Original:

A man is dead after a head-on crash with a VIA bus on the city’s far East Side, according to San Antonio police.

The crash happened around 6 a.m., Sunday, in the 5700 block of Foster Road, near Seguin Road.

Witnesses say the man’s vehicle drifted into the oncoming lane of a VIA bus, going the opposite direction, when it struck the bus head-on.

The driver of the bus tried to avoid the collision and veered right, jumping a curb at the time of the crash, according to police.

The driver of the vehicle, a man in his 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the VIA bus and the two to three passengers that were on the bus during the crash were uninjured.

Police have closed off North Foster Road, from Seguin Road to Heritage Lake, as authorities continue to assess the scene. Traffic is being re-routed through the back of a neighboring H-E-B.

RELATED: Officials: Driver facing possible intoxication assault charges after overnight high-speed crash

About the Authors:

Cody King is a digital journalist for KSAT 12. She previously worked for WICS/WRSP 20 in Springfield, Illinois.