SAN ANTONIO – Are you ready for a mouth-watering, do-it-yourself brunch? Here are two great recipes for Father's Day by Chef Leo Davila at Catch the Wave!
Monte Cristo with Catch the Wave Jam
(2 servings | 2 sandwiches)
• 4 slices of bread, brioche or Texas toast
• French toast, store-bought or homemade (see recipe below)
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extact
• 4 eggs
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 1 cup milk
• 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
• 8 ounces turkey sausage, crumbled or patty, cooked
• Powdered sugar, to taste
• 1/2 cup cheese, Swiss or Gruyere, sliced or shredded
• Maple syrup, to taste
• Catch the Wave jam, strawberry or mixed berry
For the homemade French toast:
In a small bowl, combine sugar, milk, heavy cream, cinnamon, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk to combine and pour into a shallow container big enough to soak each slice of bread.
In a 10-inch or 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Dip bread in egg mixture. Cook 30 seconds per side. Set aside for sandwich assembly.
For the sandwich:
Spread mustard mayo mix onto each slice of bread. Layer the cheese on each side and top it with the sausage. Repeat twice.
Combine bread pieces and slightly push down on sandwich to compress. Finish toasting the bread to ensure it is golden brown and delicious.
Place sandwich on serving platter. Drizzle with Catch the Wave Jam, syrup, and dust with powdered sugar. Eat and ENJOY!
Sweet potato hash with avocado crema & Catch the Wave macha
(4 servings | 4)
• 3 sweet potatoes, medium diced
• 3 russet potatoes, medium diced
• 3 carrots, medium diced
• 3 stalks Swiss chard, shredded, stalks removed
• 1/2 cup red onion, small diced
• 2 tablespoon garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 cup red bell pepper, medium diced
• 1/2 cup green bell pepper, medium diced
• Avocado crema (see recipe below)
• 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
• 2 limes, juice and zest
• 1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
• 1/2 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 1 cup sour cream
• Catch the Wave salsa macha
For the sweet potato hash:
Oven roast: In a 400°F oven, roast the carrots, potatoes, and sweet potatoes for 40 minutes.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add onions and cook for 5-7 minutes or until translucent. Add bell peppers and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add swiss chard pieces to the pan and cook for 7-9 minutes. Stirring continuously to ensure the mixture does not burn. Add oven roasted vegetables to the pan. Stir to incorporate mixture. Set cooked mixture to the side.
In a small nonstick pan over medium-high heat, add oil and swirl to coat. Add one egg and fry to desired doneness. Leo prefers an over easy egg for the hash.
On a nice serving platter:
Add hash, finish with avocado crema and Catch the Wave salsa macha. Top with fried egg.
For avocado crema:
In a blender, combine all of the following ingredients: avocado, lime, cilantro, parsley, mayonnaise and sour cream. Blitz all ingredients until fully incorporated. Reserve in an air-tight container for up to 7 days.