Recipe makes 8 servings
16 Oz Armour Lard, reserve 1 Tbsp.
4 1/2 Lb boneless pork butt, cun into 2-inch pieces
12 Oz Mexican Coke
2 Tbsp Mexican oregano
2 large navel oranges, cut in half
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup(s) white onions, diced small
16 Mi Tienda Ready to Cook Flour Tortillas, warmed according to package directions
1. In a Dutch oven or deep pot set over medium heat, add lard and allow to melt.
2. Add pork pieces and fry 6 to 8 minutes or just until they develop a little color.
3. Add in Coke, oregano, oranges, cinnamon stick and onions. Turn heat down to low and cover pot. Cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until pork is fall apart tender.
4. Remove oranges and cinnamon stick from pot. Strain out all fat into another container and discard when cool.
5. Shred pork with tongs and set aside.
6. In a non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat, add remaining lard and fry pork until just crispy.
7. Season pork to taste as needed and serve on tortillas.
8. Chef’s Note: I like to add diced onions, lime juice and a little cumin sprinkled on the pork.
Get the recipe nutritional information and add ingredients to your H-E-B shopping list here!