SAN ANTONIO – Many of us may be on a budget this year because of the pandemic but it doesn’t mean we have to skip out on game day snacks.
Whether you are watching college sports or the NFL on Sunday these cheap and easy recipes will keep you satisfied and won’t break the bank.
*The estimates are based on ingredients sold at H-E-B.
Ham & Swiss Bakes Sliders: This can yield 12 sliders at an estimated cost of just under $20.
Ingredients: 12 sweet Hawaiian rolls, 3/4 pound of honey ham, 12 slices of swiss cheese, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp. poppy seeds, 1/2 tbsp. diced minced onion, 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray an oven dish with cooking spray
- Place bottom half of rolls inside dish
- Add half of swiss cheese in an even layer, then add layer of ham, then the rest of cheese on top, and finally add the top half of the rolls.
- Separately melt butter and then whisk in Worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds, Dijon mustard, minced onion and a pinch of salt and pepper (feel free to add more if you like)
- Give everything a good mix and then brush over sandwiches (no need to use all the mixture if you don’t want to)
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 3-5 minutes until bread is slightly crispy
- Serve them hot right out of the oven
Bacon Tater Bombs: This is 10 servings at just under $10.
Ingredients: 16 oz bacon sliced, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 32 oz bag of frozen tater tots, green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray
- Cut bacon slices in half and then wrap half a slice around a tater tot, then roll in brown sugar
- Place them side down on baking sheet and bake them for about 10 minutes then flip and then bake for another 10 mins.
- Remove and garnish with green onion
Jalapeño Popper Bites: This makes 48 bites at just under $16.50.
Ingredients: 2 jalapeños seeded and diced, 8 oz cream cheese, 3 green onions sliced, 8 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled, 8 oz shredded pepper jack cheese, 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese, party size back of tortilla scoop chips
- Preheat over to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a bowl, stir together jalapeños, bacon, green onions, cream cheese, pepper jack and cheddar cheese
- Spoon a teaspoon of filling into a scoop chip
- Top with more bacon and cheese if desired
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Serve immediately
Crack Dip: 12 servings for just under $11
Ingredients: 1 packed of ranch dressing mix, 16 oz sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 3 oz bacon bits (the kind in a packet)
- Mix everything and enjoy!
Mini Bacon Ranch Cheese balls: This makes 30 mini cheese balls at just under $13.50.
Ingredients: 12 ounces of softened cream cheese, 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, 1 tsp of dry ranch seasoning, 1 cup of finely chopped and cooked bacon or bacon bits, 1 tbsp of parsley, pretzel sticks
- In a medium bowl mix all the ingredients except the pretzels
- Make small balls of cheese mixture and stick a pretzel in the middle