17-year-old shot near Converse playground Sunday dies

Zachary Segura died Tuesday, Medical Examiner's office confirms

CONVERSE, Texas – A 17-year-old shot during a struggle over a package on Sunday has died, the Medical Examiner confirmed late Tuesday night. 

Officials said the victim, Zachary Segura, was taken off life support Tuesday and died at the Brooke Army Medical Center.

"Zach was a great kid. He lived his life through his friends and his family. He brought joy to everybody he was around. He was just the brightest person to be around," said Alex Flores, the victim's uncle. "He had tons of friends everywhere he went. People came and told us stories of how he helped them. The things he did were just astounding. He was just an amazing kid all around."

Converse police said they have identified a person of interest in the shooting. Police initially arrested an individual Tuesday afternoon but later rescinded an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge as they investigate further.

According to Converse Police Department Capt. Robert Avella, the Segura and a friend were asked to go to the pool in the 10100 block of Macarthur Way to meet up with the assailant. 

Avella said the shooter attempted to steal a package from Segura and that when the victim attempted to take the package back, the gunman shot him in the head. 

Police said Segura, the friend and the gunman were in a car when the shooting happened. It's unclear to whom the car belongs, but Converse Police Chief Fidel Villegas said the shooter was in the back seat and Segura and his friend were in the front seats.

RELATED: 'It didn't look good at all': Woman who rendered aid to Converse victim until EMS arrived 

"At some point, there was some kind of an altercation between the victim and the shooter over a package, possibly a backpack, and the assailant produced a handgun, small caliber, and fired one shot and struck the victim in the head," Villegas said. 

Avella said marijuana was found in the car, but he wasn't sure if that's what was being exchanged at the time of the shooting. Villegas said the gunman took off with the package.

Editor's Note: This story stated an individual was under arrest for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Authorities have since rescinded the charge as they investigate further.