Ray's Drive Inn manager clarifies what started fire at eatery
West Side restaurant is known as 'home of the puffy taco'
SAN ANTONIO – A West Side restaurant known as the "home of the puffy taco" was damaged by fire early Monday morning.
The fire was called in just before 8:30 a.m. at Ray's Drive Inn, which is located in the 800 block of Southwest 19th Street, not far from Guadalupe Street.
Early reports indicated that a grease fire was to blame for the damage, but night manager, Nathan Morales, said late Monday afternoon that the pilot light ignited a plastic crate on top of a stove.
Firefighters said when they arrived, they had to force entry into the building and found lots of smoke inside. The fire was contained mostly to the kitchen and was put out quickly, fire officials said.
The restaurant is closed Mondays, so no one was inside the restaurant or in the apartment upstairs at the time of the fire. The restaurant will open Tuesday, Morales said.
An exact damage estimate to the restaurant was not released.
Copyright 2019 by KSAT - All rights reserved.