Bexar County Sheriff condemns violence at U.S. Capitol

‘Here locally we have not received any direct threats,’ Sheriff says

SAN ANTONIO – Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar has condemned the violent actions that happened on Wednesday at the U.S. Capitol to obstruct the certification of the Electoral College votes of the November 2020 election.

Earlier on Wednesday, pro-Trump supporters forced their way into the U.S. Capitol to condemn the certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s victory over President Donald Trump.

“These processes that are taking place -- elections, the counting of electoral votes -- these processes that have been going on for hundreds of years -- they are processes that our whole nation is based upon and to see people taking it to the extreme and acting like this is the first time this has ever happened and using it as an excuse to perpetrate violence on U.S. soil is unimaginable,” Salazar said in a video released to KSAT.

Police evacuated at least two buildings on Capitol Hill as protestors tore down and crossed police barriers to enter the buildings.

The Associated Press reported that “dozens of people breached security perimeters at the Capitol and lawmakers inside the House chamber were told to put on gas masks as tear gas was fired in the Rotunda.”

Salazar said that, at the local level, his department is also increasing security around county facilities following the actions on Capitol Hill.

One woman was shot and killed during the protestors’ march on Capitol Hill. The circumstances of her death are still unclear.

“It’s extremely disappointing to see these sorts of things on U.S. soil,” Salazar said. “Here, locally, we have not received any direct threats at all, but nonetheless, we are increasing security around our facilities.”

Additionally, Salazar released the following statement on the violent actions:

“It is disheartening to see rioters at the U.S. Capitol are attempting to interrupt Congress from doing the work of the people.

“I can assure you that all proactive measures to safeguard Bexar County facilities, staff, and processes are being implemented.”

Related: Trump tells supporters to ‘go home in peace’ in video from White House following chaos at US Capitol