Asylum seekers navigate new future in the U.S. after months in Mexico

The Biden administration ended a Trump era policy allowing thousands of asylum seekers to enter the country

MCALLEN, Texas – Some asylum seekers have spent more than a year and a half living in tent cities in Matamoros, Mexico, during the Trump administration.

The Trump administration’s Remain in Mexico Policy forced asylum seekers to wait in distressed conditions for months at a time.

The Biden administration has ended the policy, allowing thousands of asylum seekers to enter the country and move forward.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials report an increase in illegal border crossings

KSAT’s Jonathan Cotto is in Mcallen, Texas talking to activist groups about the situation as it unfolds. Watch the latest report in the video player above.

Read also:

Biden lifts Trump-era ban blocking legal immigration to US

Child migrant facility reopened by Biden administration in South Texas draws criticism from immigration advocates

Democrats consider piecemeal approach to immigration reform

About the Authors:

Jonathan Cotto is a reporter for KSAT’s Good Morning San Antonio. He’s a bilingual award-winning news reporter and he joined KSAT in 2021. Before coming to San Antonio, Cotto was reporting along the U.S.-Mexico border in South Texas. He’s a veteran of the United States Navy.