CAST Tech students to provide free tax preparation services starting Thursday

Those wanting to use the service must make $65,000 or less per year

FILE - This July 24, 2018, file photo shows a portion of the 1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return form. Its the time of year to start thinking about taxes - what's ahead and what can be done now to manage. But the upcoming tax filing season is going to be trickier for many Americans due to rampant unemployment, working from home and general upheaval due to COVID-19. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File) (Mark Lennihan, Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

SAN ANTONIO – CAST Tech High School students who are IRS-certified will provide free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) services for members of the community who make $65,000 or less starting Thursday.

VITA services will be available from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays until April 14.

To receive the free service, those needing income tax help should have their driver’s license or government-issued photo ID and other essential documents, which can be found by clicking here or in the list below.

CAST Tech officials say the IRS-certified students are fully trained and gain hands-on experience to understand taxes better and build communications skills while helping their community.

The program, now in its third year, has completed 306 tax returns since 2019.

Those interested can visit the following address at these times:

CAST Tech High School, 637 N. Main Avenue 78205

  • 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 7
  • 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 12
  • 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 14

For more information, call 210-554-2700 or click here.

Before you go to a VITA Site in the San Antonio area, please bring the following items with you:


  • Bring proof of identification, such as a driver’s license or government-issued photo I.D.
  • Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for you, your spouse and the dependents you will claim
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents you will claim
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
  • To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, BOTH spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • Bring last year’s tax return. If you have it, it can really help.


  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2 from all employers
  • Annuity or retirement: 1099-R
  • Social Security Statement: 1099-SSA
  • Gambling winnings: W2-G
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099-INT and 1099-DIV)


  • Mortgage interest: 1098
  • Real estate taxes paid (statement or receipt)
  • Child care expenses: provider receipt showing provider identification number
  • Medical expenses with detailed receipts
  • Charitable contributions
  • Education: Form 1098-T Tuition Statement; must have the school EIN
  • Student Loan Interest: 1098-E


  • All 1095-A forms if you used the healthcare exchange