SAFD: Woman escapes house fire after being woken up by dog

The house suffered over $100,000 in damages

SAFD respond to fire in the 9100 block of Ranch Corner. (KSAT)

SAN ANTONIO – A dog woke up the owner of a San Antonio home that caught fire early Saturday morning, allowing her to escape safely.

Firefighters responded to the structure fire at 2:30 a.m. in the 9100 block of Ranch Corner, according to San Antonio FD.

SAFD says the back of the home caught fire after the deck went up in flames and spread.

Officials say an elderly woman was asleep when her dog alerted her of the fire.

The woman says she saw a glow shining through the door when she opened the door and saw the back of her home on fire. The woman was able to get out safely on her own.

SAFD estimated $140,000 in damages.


About the Author:

Victoria Lopez is a Digital Journalist at KSAT. Before joining the team in July 2022, she worked as a Digital Reporter at CBS 4 Rio Grande Valley and Local 23 News. Victoria graduated with a degree in Mass Communications — Public Relations from the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.