Police arrest mom, search for dad of 8-month-old girl shot, killed as parents argued over gun

Police are continuing to search for Alejandro Martinez, 20

Mugshots for Ruby Mora (left), Alejandro Martinez (right) (Bexar County Jail)

SAN ANTONIO – The mother of an 8-month-old girl who was shot and killed last week as her parents argued over a handgun has been arrested.

Ruby Mora, 21, was arrested Monday on a felony charge of injury to a child. Her bond is set at $100,000 records show.

Police are looking for the baby’s father —Alejandro Martinez, 20, who they say ran off after the shooting.

He’s facing also facing a felony charge of injury to a child, serious bodily injury.

Mora and Martinez were arguing Wednesday afternoon over a gun when it went off and struck Mora in the hand and 8-month-old Rosalinda Martinez in the torso, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

According to the affidavit, Mora and Martinez started arguing in the parking lot of the Merida Apartments in the 2100 block of NE Loop 410, while a family member watched Rosalinda inside the apartment.

When the family member heard the arguing getting louder, she went outside with the child.

Mora took Rosalinda from her family member as Martinez got into his car, according to the affidavit.

The family member told police that Mora went over to Martinez after he got into his car and said that Martinez was sitting in the driver’s seat while Mora was standing outside the driver’s side door with the door open, still holding Rosalinda.

According to the affidavit, Mora was reaching into the car with her left hand while holding Rosalinda with her right arm.

Mora was seen trying to pull something away from Martinez who was seen pulling it back. Mora later told police it was her handgun, which she said Martinez refused to give to her.

While the two were pulling the firearm back and forth, the handgun went off and that’s when it struck the baby in the torso and Mora in the hand.

The family member drove Mora and Rosalinda to Northeast Baptist Hospital where the baby was later pronounced dead.

Court records show that at the time of the incident, Martinez was out on bond following a February arrest for the assault of a pregnant person and unlawfully carrying a gun.

Recommended Videos