BCSO patrol sergeant placed on leave after off-duty DWI arrest

Houston Pons arrested early Thursday morning by police

SAN ANTONIO – An off-duty Bexar County Sheriff’s Office patrol sergeant was arrested on suspicion of driving while under the influence, the department said in an email.

Houston Pons, a 16-year veteran with BCSO, was arrested by San Antonio police around 2 a.m. on Thursday on the access road of the 3200 block of NW Loop 410.

Pons, 43, was issued a notice of proposed dismissal and placed on unpaid administrative leave, the BCSO email said.

A separate but concurrent investigation pending an outcome of Pons’ criminal case, the email said. SAPD is handling that part of the investigation.

“Although this agency has made great strides with regard to arrests for misconduct, it’s clear we still have some work to do. I maintain a strict disciplinary stance on this issue, so the swift and severe consequences for his actions should come as no surprise to this employee,” Sheriff Javier Salazar said in the email.

Pons was issued a DWI charge and a $1,000 bond, according to Bexar County Court Records.

Pons has been with BCSO since Oct. 29, 2007. According to the email, he was assigned as a patrol supervisor for BCSO’s West patrol.

Mason Hickok is a digital journalist at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, walking his dogs and listening to podcasts.