SAN ANTONIO - Next year will be a year of celebration in San Antonio as the city marks its 300th anniversary.
The Tricentennial Commission has released dates and specifics on key events throughout the year.
Celebrate 300 will be the New Year’s Eve celebration and tricentennial kickoff event. There will be a free concert at Civic Park and art projections on buildings, festive decorations, and the night will conclude with a fireworks show at midnight.
Commemorative Week will run May 1-May 6, 2018. Each day will have a different theme:
- May 1 is a day of reflections. All faith-based communities will join together for a community candlelight vigil and sunset services at Main Plaza.
- May 2 will focus on history and education. Public, private, parochial and homeschool students will work on exhibits to be put on display at libraries, schools, and museums. A "tree-centennial" program is also scheduled, 300 trees will be planted at various locations across the city.
- May 3 is Founders Day. A Founder’s Gala will celebrate the city’s multinational culture by focusing on the city’s founding mothers and fathers.
- May 4 will be geared toward the arts. Museums, art venues, and theaters will offer free admission. Also on this day the tricentennial art piece will be unveiled.
- May 5 is Legacy Day, which honor the contributions of the missions in San Antonio. Throughout the World Heritage Site there will be five miles of musical entertainment, health and fitness activities, and tours culminating in fireworks over every Mission at night. The San Antonio River Authority will also dedicate the transformation of San Pedro Creek.
- May 6 will focus on the military and the city’s rich military history.
The Tricentennial Commission estimates that SA 300 will have a $120 million impact on the local economy throughout the year.
Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT 12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.
Sign up today. It's Free.
Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.