SAN ANTONIO – Top off your grilled pork tomahawks, with this easy and delicious recipe to make toasted spices.
1 Tsp juniper berries, whole
1 Tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
1 Tsp fennel seeds
2 bone-in pork tomahawks, about 1 lb a piece
1. Preheat grill to a medium-high or approximately 375ºF.
2. Meanwhile, using a small pan toast juniper, red pepper flakes, cumin, peppercorns, and fennel until fragrant and just starting to toast.
3. Place toasted spices into a blender and pulse until completely ground.
4. Season pork tomahawks liberally with the spice mix and salt on both sides.
5. Once the grill is hot, place pork on well-oiled grill and sear 2 to 4 minutes. Rotate pork 45 degrees to create hash marks and cook an additional 2 to 4 minutes.
6. Flip pork and continue to cook until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 150ºF. Rest before cutting and serving.