Clerk shot in face on Southeast Side

Suspect identified as 19-year-old Cameo Marcus Clines

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio police have released the name of the man accused of shooting a store clerk in the face on the Southeast Side Sunday morning.

Cameo Marcus Clines, 19, is charged with aggravated robbery and was being held on $100,000 bond.

The shooting happened around 11 a.m. at the Shop-N-Go Food Mart in the 5400 block of South New Braunfels Avenue.

Police said Clines walked in and demanded to speak to a manager before shooting the clerk.

Elias Callahan works at the store and was the first person to come to the aid of the injured clerk.

"If he wouldn't have been there to help that gentleman, the one that got shot, he wouldn't have been able to be taken away in an ambulance," said Brenda Callahan, Elias' mother.

Clines fled on foot but didn't get very far. Police said a witness chased him across the street to an apartment complex.

"I jumped in my vehicle. I went down the street chased him. (I) tried to catch up to him, hopped out of my vehicle and at that point he had already ran out. He was trying to pull out his weapon on me," Elias Callahan said. "I wanted to help my friend, so I wanted to get this guy off the streets because he didn't care about anybody's life."

Police said Clines hid inside an apartment at the New South Point complex.

"The suspect then fled across the street to an apartment complex. We had a witness at the location that was able to provide some information to two officers," said Douglas Greene of the San Antonio Police Department.

The SAPD Robbery Task Force was called to the scene and determined Clines' exact location.

"The robbery unit was able to make phone contact with the suspect and after approximately an hour, was able to talk the suspect out of the apartment," said Greene. Clines was arrested without incident.

A woman who was inside with Clines was also detained and the apartment was cleared. Charges against the woman were unknown.

The clerk was identified as 35-year-old Awais Kazmi. He was transported to San Antonio Military Medical Center in serious condition, but according to police, he was walking and communicating with paramedics.