Grisly details emerge in apparent murder-suicide at luxury downtown apartments

Fatal shooting occurred late Monday at 1800 Broadway apartments

SAN ANTONIOUPDATE: The medical examiner's office identified the woman killed as 35-year-old Tania Rendon-Santiago.

A friend told KSAT 12 that Rendon-Santiago received her Ph.D. in counseling psychology from Texas A&M last year. She was working as a clinical fellow in geropsychology at the South Texas Veterans Health Care System.

(Original Story)

Grisly details have emerged in an apparent murder-suicide that happened at a luxury apartment complex near Pearl Brewery late Monday night.

Witnesses said they heard a woman screaming in a fourth-floor balcony at the 1800 Broadway apartments before she was found with multiple gunshot wounds in an apartment. 

The medical examiner's office has not yet released the names of the man and woman found in the apartment, but authorities said they are in their mid-30s.

RELATED: Police seek gunman in fatal shooting at East Side apartment complex

RELATED: Police: East Side man stabbed over cellphone

Viewing the fourth-floor balcony where the shooting took place was covered and boarded up Tuesday morning. The door of the apartment, located on Broadway Street across from the Pearl Brewery complex, was closed off as well.

"I assumed someone was dead," said Kendall Brooks, who lives down the hall.

Walking by the open door Monday evening as police investigated the deaths, Brooks said he saw the scene inside.

"Terrible. I walked upstairs. I saw a body -- yeah, awful," said Brooks.

Police were called to the apartment just before 11 p.m. Monday for a report of shots fired. The caller told police they heard the woman screaming that someone "has a gun."

By the time officers forced their way into the apartment, the man and woman were already dead.

"(Police) talked to me, told (me) everything was safe, everything was fine, that no suspect had been apprehended," said Brooks.

The sergeant at the scene said the man was alive when they got there, but walked back inside of the apartment and shot himself while on a couch.

He said there were plenty of people walking about the area, which provided many witnesses.

The police report shows the woman had more than one bullet wound, and the dead man still had the gun in his hand.

Police say no one else was inside.

About the Authors:

Ben Spicer is a digital journalist who works the early morning shift for KSAT.