East Side hotel owner opens doors to man who lost mother, home in NW Side apartment complex fire

Jesse Wadley has been homeless since fire in August

By Deven Clarke - News Reporter

SAN ANTONIO - An East Side business owner is lending a helping hand to a man in need who lost his mother and became homeless when a fire destroyed their apartment in August.

Jesse Wadley now has a place to sleep thanks to the owner of Alamo Inn and Suites, who saw Wadley’s story on KSAT and offered him a suite until he can get back on his feet.

“I feel like this is the only way I can help out,” said the owner who didn’t want to be identified.

Wadley said it’s much-needed help, as he’s on a long road to recovery, both physically and mentally.

“I’m still going to the burn center at the hospital, and so I’m still having to go through that," Wadley said. “I'm still kind of going through counseling, trauma courses. I have a psychiatrist that's helping because I’m having nightmares.”

Wadley suffered severe burns throughout his body when his Northwest Side apartment caught fire, along with several other units. He's been out of work and sleeping on a friends couch until Friday.

“Oh, wow! This is very nice, extremely nice. Wow,” Wadley said upon entering his suite. “I’m dumbfounded, and I don't really know what to say other than thank you.”

Wadley said this is the biggest gesture of kindness he’s received since the fire.

“He lost everything, including his mother, and I wanted to reach out and help," the inn owner said.

Fire officials said food cooking on a stove caused the fire. Within the next few weeks, Wadley said, he's hoping to get insurance money and move into his own place.

He said he's also hoping to heal soon so that he can get back to work.

Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.