CHRISTUS Health asks public to practice patience as health care workers distribute COVID-19 vaccine

Officials say they hope to have more appointment slots available soon

SAN ANTONIO – CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Health System is asking the public to practice patience as officials begin to rollout the COVID-19 vaccine in the area.

As the first patients start to roll up their sleeves and receive the vaccine, health officials ask the public not to walk up to hospitals and vaccine clinics.

Marisa Emmons, the vice president of clinic operations for CHRISTUS Health, said officials are working diligently to ensure a smooth distribution.

“At this time, until supplies are increased, only patients with appointments can be accommodated,” Emmons said in a statement. “As soon as appointments are available, we will communicate to our patients and to the public about the proper steps for screening and scheduling those in Tier 1B for vaccines.”

Currently, health care officials are vaccinating the first phase of frontline workers. Patients phase 1-B include those 65 and older or those 16 and older with certain medical conditions.

CHRISTUS Health hopes to have additional appointments for Phase 1B recipients available as early as the middle of the week.

When the appointments become available, patients can sign up using the chat function on the CHRISTUS Health website.

Related: Some SA teachers given COVID-19 vaccine; service not available to all educators yet, CHRISTUS Health says