Long-time city of Roma police chief dies after battle with COVID-19

Jose H. ‘Beto’ Garcia died Monday after 36 years of service

Image courtesy of The City of Roma. (Copyright 2020 by KSAT - All rights reserved.)

ROMA, Texas – The City of Roma is celebrating the life of its long-time police chief, Jose H. “Beto” Garcia, who died after contracting COVID-19.

Garcia served the city of Roma as a law enforcement officer for 36 years and led the department for 27 1/2 years, according to the department.

According to an announcement by the city, Garcia died Monday morning following a battle with COVID-19.

The City of Roma and our entire community mourn the loss today of Roma Police Chief Jose H. “Beto” Garcia. Chief Garcia...

Posted by City of Roma, Texas on Monday, January 4, 2021

Garcia held multiple positions throughout his tenure with the Roma Police Department, including fire chief/fire marshal, emergency management coordinator and director of public safety.

“Through his strong leadership and commitment, Chief Garcia laid the foundation to build a community-oriented police force committed to serving and protecting life and property,” the City of Roma said on Facebook. “During his last four years as Chief of Police, Roma continuously ranked in the top 10 safest cities in the state.”

Funeral arrangements for Garcia are as follows:

From 1-7 p.m., on Wednesday a viewing will be held at the Sanchez Funeral Home in Roma, Texas.

On Thursday, from 8-10 a.m., a funeral procession will depart to Starr County Memorial Cemetery at 10 a.m. on Farm to Market Road 650.

Related: 3 billboards memorialize hundreds of COVID-19 victims in Rio Grande Valley