Audio shows interim Uvalde police chief knew about room ‘full of victims’ during Robb Elementary shooting, CNN reports

CNN released report nearly a week after Mariano Pargas won reelection for commissioner’s court

Uvalde Police Department Acting Chief Lt. Mariano Pargas (on right). (Facebook/The Associated Press)

SAN ANTONIO – The interim Uvalde police chief knew there was a room “full of victims” at Robb Elementary School but failed to properly act, according to audio recordings obtained by CNN.

CNN reported on Monday night that Lt. Mariano Pargas — who was suspended over the summer after a report revealed failures by law enforcement — was informed by a dispatcher that eight to nine students were possibly still alive at 12:16 p.m. on May 24, nearly 45 minutes after the gunman entered the school. The gunman wasn’t killed until about 12:50 p.m.

The report shows that a top law enforcement officer knew about children who were possibly still alive in the classrooms as the gunman remained holed up for 77 minutes. During that time, he fatally shot 19 students and two teachers.

Khloie Torres, 10, who was inside Room 112, was able to call 911 at 12:10 p.m. and tell them she was in a room “full of victims.”

That call information was relayed over the Uvalde police radio channel four minutes later, and relayed directly to Pargas two minutes after that, CNN reported.

“The calls you got in from the … from one of the students, what did they say?” Pargas asks, according to CNN.

“OK, Khloie’s going to be, it’s Khloie. She’s in Room 112, Mariano, 112,” the dispatcher says.

When Pargas asks how many people were still alive, the dispatcher responds, “eight to nine are still alive. She’s not too sure … She’s not too sure how many are actually DOA or possibly injured. We’re trying …”

Pargas says “OK, OK thanks” and then hangs up, CNN reported.

He relayed that information to a Border Patrol agent inside the hallway at 12:17 p.m. but didn’t mention it to a Texas Ranger a minute later.

Surveillance footage showed Pargas leaving the hallway near Room 112 at 12:20 p.m. and not returning, CNN reported.

CNN’s report was released nearly a week after Uvalde residents re-elected Pargas as the Uvalde County Commissioner for Precinct 2.

Pargas won the election with 45% of the vote, beating three write-in challengers — Javier J. Cazares, Diana Olvedo-Karau and Julio Valdez.

Cazares is the father of Jackie, a student who died during the shooting.

Pargas was initially uncontested for the position he’d held for more than 15 years until the challengers emerged. Valdez received 34% of the vote, Cazares had 16%, and Olvedo-Karau had 4%.

When reached by CNN on Monday, Pargas told the news outlet that he couldn’t speak about the police department, based on guidance from his lawyers.

“I want to defend myself. I really do,” Pargas told CNN. “There’s a lot of stuff that I can explain, that I would love to defend myself. And that’s the problem we’re having right now … the victims and everybody’s saying everything they want to say, but we can’t say nothing because we were told not to talk to, you know, we can’t say anything cause we’re still under that, not to talk to any, media or anything.”

“It’s not that we’re afraid because there’s nothing to be afraid of. We did what we could, but the thing is that we’ve been told that we can’t (speak publicly),” he said.

Read also:

About the Author:

Rebecca Salinas joined KSAT in the fall of 2019. Her skills include content management, engagement and reporting.