Teen arrested for stabbing, killing John Jay High School student at West Side restaurant, police say

Jesus San Miguel, 18, was charged with murder of Joshua Eugene Kinnaman, 18

SAN ANTONIO – A teenager was arrested for fatally stabbing a John Jay High School student during a fight at a West Side restaurant earlier this week, records show.

Jesus San Miguel, 18, was booked on Wednesday and charged with murder, a first-degree felony, according to records with the Bexar County Jail.

An arrest warrant affidavit states that San Miguel stabbed the 18-year-old student, Joshua Eugene Kinnaman, before 2 p.m. on Tuesday at a restaurant in the 7700 block of Marbach Road, across the street from the NISD campus. The affidavit did not say if San Miguel is also a student.

The two went to the restaurant together, sat at a booth and ordered food, surveillance video showed. At some point, San Miguel said something inaudible to Kinnaman, to which Kinnaman replied “I’ll kick your a** right now,” the affidavit states.

San Miguel replied “Let’s go,” and they began to exit the restaurant, police said, adding that they were “smiling while doing so.”

An exterior camera showed them exit the parking lot and Kinnaman “aggressively shove” San Miguel from behind, the affidavit states.

The suspect dropped his drink, took off his backpack and pulled out what appeared to be a lock-blade knife, investigators said. As he pulled out the knife, Kinnaman approached San Miguel and began to swing at him with his fists.

After a few swings, police said, San Miguel lunged at Kinnaman and stabbed him in the torso.

Kinnaman went inside the restaurant for help and San Miguel ran off, police said.

Kinnaman was taken to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

The affidavit states that San Miguel went to the Bexar County Jail on Tuesday night to turn himself into the police. Officers told him he wasn’t under arrest and asked if he voluntarily contacted police to provide a statement.

San Miguel said he did voluntarily contact the police but decided he wanted to speak with an attorney and did not want to give a statement. He was released that night.

A warrant for his arrest was issued on Wednesday evening. His bond is set at $150,000.

This investigation remains ongoing.

Read also:

About the Author:

Rebecca Salinas joined KSAT in the fall of 2019. Her skills include content management, engagement and reporting.