SAN ANTONIO – Did you know giving just $1 to the San Antonio Food Bank provides seven meals for people who are food insecure here in the Alamo City? It’s one of the nonprofits participating in The Big Give on Thursday.
Some fast facts about the San Antonio Food Bank:
- A donation of $5 can feed a child for a week.
- A donation of $10 can feed a whole family for a week.
- The food bank was featured on actor Ryan Reynolds' Instagram page this year, after thousands of people lined up for meals at a drive-thru distribution event.
- The average number the food bank serves more than doubled during the pandemic to 120,000 per week.
- The food bank set up weekly mega distributions to give up to 2,000 households up to 2 weeks' worth of food at a time.
- The food bank started daily distribution and extended home deliveries to homebound seniors and people with disabilities.
Check out the recipe from the food bank kit David Elder assembled on Thursday’s show below.
Black bean & corn salsa
Serves 6 (1/2 cup servings)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn (15 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa (hot or mild)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Rinse the black beans and corn. Add to bowl. Add salsa, cumin, black pepper, cilantro and lime juice. Stir until well combined.
Serve with corn or flour tortillas, pita chips, tortilla chips, on salads or on burgers. David loved it!