SAN ANTONIO ā During a two week period in June of 2014, the bodies of Steven Rendon and Xavier Cordero were found in separate locations in rural Bexar County. Both had been murdered.
Cameo Clines, 20, and Antoinette Martinez, 19, were charged with capital murder in the menās death. The victims, authorities said, had been lured to the womanās apartment, then robbed and killed.
On Tuesday, Clines pleaded guilty to murder charges in each case and was sentenced to two life sentences to run concurrently. He also received 20 years in prison on aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charges stemming from a separate case in 2013.
As part of the plea bargain, Judge Mary Roman ordered that Clines must complete the life sentences before he begins to serve the 20-year sentence.
Following his sentencing, the parents of the victims addressed Clines in open court in what is known as a victim impact statement.
āI feel numb,ā Debbie Cordero, Xavier Corderoās mother, told Clines. āParalyzed by grief and pain.ā
āHe has wrecked our family and his contempt for human life is beyond comprehension,ā she said.
Xavier Corderoās father, Xavier Cordero Sr., said he shared his wifeās grief and pain, and added, āI blame the society we live in today and I blame the justice system.ā
He said he was disappointed in the sentence.
Antoinette Martinez is still awaiting trial on capital murder charges for her role in the murders.