SAN ANTONIO – A family of seven is displaced after their far Northeast Side home went up in flames early Wednesday morning, the San Antonio Fire Department said.
The fire was called in just after 3 a.m. at a home in the 12400 block of La Lira Street, not far from Nacogdoches Road and Wurzbach Parkway.
According to the homeowner, Victor Aguilar, his grandfather saw one of the walls ignite and then alerted everyone to get out.
A woman inside the home said they used the microwave and then 15 mins later saw the whole wall on fire. Fire officials say the fire spread throughout the attic.
Firefighters said they managed to put out the flames, but the house is considered a total loss.
Aguliar said a total of seven people lived inside the home. The five other adults made it out safely but he and his wife got trapped in their front bedroom, he said.
Aguilar said he had a hard time getting his wife out due to her prosthetic leg. Firefighters helped by getting her out through a window.
The wife was not burned but was taken to Brooke Army Medical Center for smoke inhalation. Aguliar was treated at the scene.
Three dogs made it out of the home safely as well. A fourth, however, did not and died inside the home, firefighters said.
According to the San Antonio Fire Department website, as many as 14 units answered the call.