Candle blamed for fire that destroyed West Side home

Mother, daughter displaced by fire

San Antonio firefighters say it appears a candle is what ignited a fire that destroyed a West Side home late Sunday night.
San Antonio firefighters say it appears a candle is what ignited a fire that destroyed a West Side home late Sunday night.

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio firefighters say it appears a candle is what ignited a fire that destroyed a West Side home late Sunday night.

They were called to the home in the 1100 block of Merida Street around 11:30 p.m. Sunday and quickly knocked down the flames.

Still, the fire was able to cause extensive damage throughout the home.

Firefighters say it appears a candle ignited some articles of clothing, then the fire spread throughout the home.

A woman and her daughter who live there managed to escape the fire on their own.

Paramedics checked out the daughter on the scene for possible smoke inhalation.

But neither she nor her mother required had to be taken to a hospital.


About the Authors:

Katrina Webber was born and raised in Queens, NY, but after living in Gulf Coast states for the past decade, she feels right at home in Texas.

Ben Spicer is a digital journalist who works the early morning shift for KSAT.